Serendipity. Everything’s Connected – and also Fodder for the Writer

I went to Stanford University last night to see/hear Pulitzer Prize-winner Jeffrey Eugenides.

220px-eugenides_jeffreyEugenides spoke of serendipitous events that occurred for him while writing Middlesex…in a stuck moment of trying to excavate his mind for a description of his grandparents, he hears a knock on his door. He receives a UPS package. It’s a photo of his grandparents, steamed from its parchment-scroll state and newly framed .

Eugenides’ mother had sent it, unsolicited; she knew nothing of the book he was writing or his need for the description. His muse had returned. Serendipity.

Stuck moments, aka writer’s block, have occurred in most writers’ lives. Including mine. Prior promptings to write a blog–from my editor ( novel), my career coach, my wise and supportive friends–elicited nothing from me but a blank page. Nothing new for writers. Sometimes our muse just doesn’t appear.

But then I witnessed the IABC panel discussion on how collaboration between departments played a part in Hewlett Packard’s tremendously successful 2010 pilot branding campaign (read my article on collaboration)… and how, after Mark Hurd’s sudden departure, the new executive team squelched that campaign. While researching for the article, I was suddenly inspired to write Food for Thought, my first blog entry. The return of my muse. Serendipity.

The next day, in the doctor’s office, I see a Forbes article on Will.I.Am (Blackeyed Peas) will-i-am12659pwho teamed with Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine, and HP to develop the sound system for HP’s Envy (computer). Naturally the article intrigues me; I’d just read some very interesting history on HP. Serendipity.

Turns out Will.I.Am is a futurist and innovator. He also collaborates with Coke to make clothing out of plastics. If you view this entertaining video of Will and Intel Futurist Brian Davis , you’ll hear him talking about being a wanna-be geek and about gangsta geeks. But more importantly, he talks about our relationship with technology and how we will eventually need to collaborate with it rather than be taken over by it. What will our contribution be? Will we be mere consumers? Or innovate, as Will did with Coke.

Says Will.I.Am, “How come people don’t put chips in the house?…toilets are mandatory…that’s a dumb house if it doesn’t have a chip.” He talks about Harry Potter’s wand. What’s the technology behind it? Is Intel inside?

What serendipitous topic WILL Will.I.Am inspire? A story about Jimmy Iovine or Dr. Dre? Toilets? Other innovative products? The humanity behind technology? Music? Any suggestions? Best, K.T.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Archives
17 comments on “Serendipity. Everything’s Connected – and also Fodder for the Writer
  1. Jeana says:

Trong mật ong có chứa kháng sinh giúp ngăn chặn nhiễm trùng,
    ngăn cho mụn không tiến triển xấu đi, giúp trị mụn bọc
    ở cằm và ngăn chặn quá trình biến thành các nang mụn nghiêm
    trọng hơn.

2. Julieta says:

Very nice pattern and excellent content , practically nothing else we want .
    D.

3. teamea says:

Skupienie się na dłuższych wyrażeniach może się okazać doskonałą szansą na uzyskanie dobrej pozycji rankingowej,
    np.: jeśli zdecydujemy się na wyrażenie typu: naturalna zielona herbata sklep Warszawa, wykorzystamy jednocześnie wiele kombinacji
    słów kluczowych: herbata sklep Warszawa, naturalna herbata sklep, zielona herbata sklep,
    naturalna herbata sklep Warszawa, itd.

4. Transferring Creatures or Things – Tap on any thing you
    want to move then tap on the Move” button that appears across the base of the screen.

5. دزدگیر says:

That is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read article!

6. Hi, I do think your site may be having web browser compatibility problems.

When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues.
    I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!

Aside from that, excellent blog!

7. These clothes will matc your size and will go well with your style.
    1 Woork with your skin tone: Fiind colors that work for your
    skin tone. But remember thatt if you keep active and are always oon the go,
    it’s a nastural wway tto stay warm and comfoprtable in winter.
    Designer organic jeans cost over $100, and will usually run between $150 and $200.
    Don’t trry to pick the loose stitches annd unevven stitches as they are not too durable for long period of time.
    Crew, or Banana Republiuc and buy an item in my size, because those shops don’t carry any plus
    size woman’s women’s clothing on amazon.

8. s very easy to get them; just the thing is you should knw where to look for them.
    Shopping for your faforite wear is never easy, running through multiple
    choices displayed on racks in tthe showroom and noot being able to find that exact
    fit for yourself, lesaves you heart brojen and
    anguished. Noot nly does yyour business cater to your true unique wholesale fashion plus size women’s clothing anchorage customers, but as well as to your
    competitor’s customers as well, since you carry and service a totally different array
    of wholeszle apparel then everyone else. Again, measurements should be
    made wearing the appropriate foundation garments. ge (processions through
    town), resemble the Dirndl, but what makes the costume special are the wide
    hats worfn by the ladies. Avoid cheap synthetics such as
    rayon or acetate; rayon itches, and both of them wrinkle easily and wash poorly.

9. sonograma 4d says:

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this web site’s posts all the time along with
    a cup of coffee.

10. Try to transport your ideas to the designer and
    make him work for it. To find out more about a dedicated web design firm,
    simply use the links below now and be directly
    connected to a professional ROI and Web Design conversions expert.
    The basics always remain the same but there are many updating
    in software and the principles associated with them.

11. Any recommendations about our use can be highly valued as
    we worth feedback and customer satisfaction.

12. The unbeatable advantage of Homeopathy combined with the expertise of our London-trained trichologists is now made
    easily available to you at Dr. To make the curly hair healthy and
    beautiful, it is important to understand what kind of multiracial hair care
    conditioner you require. Whatever it is, trim it to your
    style that will give you the best comfort.

My website corte de pelo rizado

13. Kurtis says:

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re using?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads
    a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a honest price?
    Cheers, I appreciate it!

14. You ought to also check-out that the roofing contractors place the price quote in accordance with the
    construction materials. When the last layer is level with the existing roof, cut a
    cover patch about two inches longer and 2 inches wider than the patched area.
    Tabitha King, a published authoress in her own right,
    is a former trustee of the BPL.

15. womens watch says:

Spot on with this write-up, I truly feel this site needs
    much more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the advice!

16. Virgil says:

The smell of food from the charcoal grills was quite overwhelming and we could not wait to dig in. The different forms of roti have all been given unique identifiers such as Phulka, Chapati, Parathas, Rumali, Naan, Puri, Phefras, Do-patris
    and Bhatia. Kolkata is also home to various popular
    north Indian, south Indian, oriental and continental
    restaurants.

17. Leandra says:

Salon Hermitage is locaterd at 3122 Monroe Avenue in Pittsford.

Aove mentioned limestone are popular colored and chosen at maximum in various parts of
    the world. Zest also plans DJ nites andd other live performances
    for spewcial occasions.

Also viszit myy site electrical tandoor (Leandra)

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Serendipity. Everything’s Connected – and also Fodder for the Writer"
  1. […] any concerns regarding in which in addition to the way to work with office cleaning Amo Indiana (Additional Info), you are able to email us in our own web-page. Seek out businesses in your target areas whose […]